Serves 4 Adults, or 2 Adults, 4 Toddler portions. This dish is full of Omega 3 which is essential for brain development. My girls love it!
- 6/7 Medium potatoes pealed chopped – Ready to boil
- 4 Fish Fillets (2 Salmon 2 Haddock, I like to make 2 Salmon for flavour, texture and colour)
- 3/4 Pint Milk
- 1/2 Pint Water
- 2 oz Plain Flour
- 2 oz Butter/Marg
- 4 oz Grated Cheddar Cheese (save 1 oz for sprinkling on top of pie)
- Grating Of Nutmeg
- Boil potatoes until soft – mash with knob of butter. Set aside.
- Poach fish fillets in mixed 1/2 pint of water and 1/2 pint of milk (I use a frying pan) until flaky and cooked – about 10 minutes.
- Remove fish leave to cool for 5 minutes. Leave cooking/poaching stock in pan. Flake fish into pie dish removing skin (I use a Lasagne dish)
- Add remaining milk, butter, and flour to the poaching pan. Whisk none stop on a medium heat until its a thickened smooth sauce. Add grated cheese and Nutmeg until melted.
- Add cheesy white sauce to the pie dish and mix with the fish. I make it quite saucy – I find that most children prefer this!
- Spoon the mash over the top of fish and sauce base and fork into pretty pattern!
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Cook for 25/30 minutes at 180 c until golden brown.
Serve on its own or with your favourite veg. I always save 2 children’s portions for the next day or freeze 2. Happy cooking!