I was going to make a snowman but its just to cold so we made chutney’s instead!
About a year ago I went on a chutney and jam cooking course it made me realise how easy it is to make them. It doesn’t take long, its not complicated and it has a great smugness factor. Look at mine and Merina’s faces! Makes about 6 jars, and a great Christmas present!
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tins chopped apples (You can use cooking apples chopped and cooked but I like the easy option!)
- 16 oz currants
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 30/40ml balsamic vinegar
- 150 g brown sugar
- 150 g Jam sugar
- salt and pepper
- Add all the ingredients into a large pan.
- Reduce by half on a high heat stirring every now and then.
- Mash if needed.
- Decant into jars, I sterilise the jars by boiling them in a big pan of boiling water for a few minutes each.
- Label stand back and admire!